We all have the necessary tools to be healthy, successful, and contented in spite of external circumstances. Good fortune is not accidental. In fact, there are no accidents. Whether or not we are consciously aware of it, our subconscious mind is creating the circumstances of our lives according to our individual subconscious beliefs. Your life is created by your subconscious beliefs.
From before birth, our subconscious mind is being imprinted with beliefs based on experiences, suggestions from significant people in our lives, our cultural values, the media and so forth. Some beliefs are empowering and some beliefs are crippling. Empowering beliefs generate feelings of self-confidence that perpetuate exploration and accomplishment. Crippling beliefs generate self-sabotaging feelings of fear and insure failure.
The source of our misery lies in our addiction to anger, resentment, violence, greed, dishonesty, fear, jealousy discouragement, self-pity or other toxic negative emotions. Not only are we addicted to negativity, we mistakenly believe that it is selfish to seek prosperity. We constantly upset ourselves by judging people and circumstances as unfair, unjust, immoral, bad, wrong, and unacceptable. We mentally rehearse the very circumstances that we most fear. So we worry about our health, finances, future, past, loneliness, aging, and an endless litany of unpleasant fantasies. The worry causes stress that corrodes our health, peace of mind and success. It is estimated that 75% of all health problems start in the mind and that we only utilize 10% of that mind. Tapping the remaining 90% of the mind has unlimited potential to craft the purposeful, fulfilling life that is our birthright.
Understand that thoughts are energy. Thoughts do not simply float around in your head. Every action is preceded by thought. Thought energy is governed by the Law of Attraction which dictates that energy attracts similar energy. Take, for instance, the co-worker who complains vociferously about incompetent management, unfair policies, colleagues who “get better breaks.” This one individual can incite the negative passions of everyone within hearing distance. The negative energy attracts a similar energy of disgruntlement that permeates the workplace like a noxious gas.
Suppose you could harness the personal energy that is squandered on worry and negative emotions. Your mind cannot focus on opposing thoughts simultaneously. What if you invested your mental energy in thoughts of what you want to see manifested in your life? Suppose you laid rightful claim to be happy, healthy, and successful. Now your thoughts are consistent with your heart’s desires. Those thoughts attract similar thought energy according the Law of Attraction. People and circumstances begin to appear that help you accomplish that which you were destined to be, to do or to have. You increasingly learn to trust your intuition to recognize the opportunities that present themselves.
The process by which you positively influence your subconscious beliefs is affirmation. To affirm is to state that is so. Affirmations are positive statements stated in the present tense. You may develop affirmations in numerous areas of your life including personal and professional growth, spiritual growth, relationships, finances, health, etc. It is useful to identify self-sabotaging subconscious beliefs and turn those around into empowering affirmations. The best time to repeat your affirmations is during meditation, as you are falling asleep, and as soon as you awaken. The reason for this optimal timing is because it is the time when your conscious mind can best communicate with your subconscious mind.
It takes time to change a lifetime of limiting subconscious beliefs. Some beliefs are so habituated that they are hard to recognize. Believe in the process and take baby steps every day. Keep a journal so you can measure your success over time. Forgive yourself for any setbacks you may experience. Above all, stop being a prisoner of self-sabotaging subconscious beliefs. Begin installing the powerful beliefs that will create a life that is more wonderful than you ever imagined.
» Tips for Personal Development
- Accept responsibility for your life and growth. Believe you can change.
- Seek learning experiences i.e. reading books, attending classes, finding a mentor, joining a group, etc.
- Respect your body and take good care of it.
- Value silence.
- Be intentional about what you want to be, to do, and to have.
- Be of service to others.
- Tell the truth to yourself and to others.
- Repeat, “Today something wonderful is going to happen and when it does, I will rejoice”.
- Consult an experienced therapist. You may need help identifying the self-sabotaging subconscious beliefs that are hindering your success. Sometimes the process of personal development is confusing or intimidating without the guidance of a skilled professional. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.